Sunday, September 16, 2007

I spent nearly one unpleasant hour in a Traffic Jam

Few-year-ago Phnom Penh, though considerably more populated than any other towns in the Country, didn’t usually have much traffic jam except during the annually celebrated water festival. But today traffic jam is no more than a simple aspect in this city dwellers’ life. In fact, though I used to be stuck among the crowded unmoving vehicles for many times, I have never experienced an irritating one like I did yesterday noon for nearly an hour, just to cross the approximate 500-metre mornivong bridge. At first I thought it wouldn’t take that long since it was not really crowded. But because of the many disorder and uncontrollable vehicles crossing the bridge, motorbikes in particular, things started to get worse. We were hardly able to move!!! Those who couldn’t stand to endure the waste of their precious gasoline on this still still situation and realized that it wouldn’t finished very soon, switched off their vehicles’ engines and waited ( **I was one among them). For several minutes later, the situation was progressively better, at least we could roll the gear and rode (or did the so-called turtle’s crawling style) at a speed of around 0.25metre per minutes in average **thanked to our hardworking policemen**. Oh Damn it!!! It took me 30more minutes, to my relief, to eventually be on the other side of the river... And I just realized then that the cause of that sucking traffic jam was because a big 1000 year-old (or maybe not that ancient) truck (KaMAS) broke down on the 1/3 way up the bridge (1/3 refer to the bridge’s length** SIC mind my grammar mistake :-)) Oh alas!!! what a shame that such thing has happened in our country...

In my opinion, I think there are 3 reasons (and/or more if I can think of later) regarding this issue (big and irritating issue to me):
1. the width of road in Phnom Penh and in the other towns is as narrow as the ant’s path ( in the developed or fast growing economic (SIC) nation’s standard **mind my grammar mistake in adjective’s order**)
2. Vehicle users still have little knowledge about traffic or their commitment to be unselfish and law-obeying drivers are limited. (I am excluded in that case, and YOU?)
3. Strangely different from the regional country, there is no public transport *even if there is one, people wont use it* in Phnom Penh city which lead to the increase of the use of private transportation in the city &&(is motortaxi counted as public transport too? if yes please change my point to “ there are too many public transport, having motortaxis as a majority”)

Any other reasons? Help me ok??? :-))

0 Fantastic Response/s: